Public Transportation Insurance in Indiana

Are you a Public Transportation company?
Let us save you money on your Public Transportation Insurance in Indiana. 

Urban understands the needs of Indiana companies that provide public transportation services. We offer Low-Cost insurance no matter if your company provides non-emergency patient transit, carries people back and forth from casinos, or operates an Airport Shuttle service; Urban Insurance knows the insurance requirements for Indiana, and can shop multiple companies to find you the coverage you need at the lowest price.

Medical Transportation Insurance


When looking for Public Transportation Insurance in Indiana it is important to recognize that the laws and requirements governing businesses that transport passengers can be complex and difficult to follow. One of the main reasons for this bewilderment comes from the numerous classifications the Indiana Secretary of State uses to classify what uses falls under which of their classifications. We are here to help you navigate the process.


The two the most common are Public Transportation or Medical Transportation.

Public Transportation (PT): an example of Business that fall under this classification include: Commuter Vans, Small bus or vans used for charter services including casino coach charters, transportation to sporting events and concerts, convention shuttles, weddings and tours.
This class includes vehicles that are “Used for the transportation of persons for compensation (Paying Passengers)” but do not fall under a “Special designation,” are included and required to obtain PT Plates, by filing proof of insurance certificate listing the State of Indiana as certificate holder.
The limits of liability required will change depending on the weight and number of passengers carried for each vehicle. For-hire carriers transporting non-hazardous property in a vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 10,001 lbs. or more – $750,000.
For-hire carriers transporting passengers in a vehicle with a seating capacity of 15 or less – $1,500,000.
For-hire carriers transporting passengers in a vehicle with a seating capacity of 16 or more – $5,000,000.
financial responsibility at the time of registration confirming they are insured for a minimum of bodily injury and $50,000 property damage.

While these are the limits of Liability coverage required to meet the legal requirements of city and state, it is possible that a company might seek higher limits of coverage.

Medical Transportation (MC) is a “Special designation” for vans or autos used for the “non-emergency transportation of persons for compensation for the purpose of obtaining medical services.” The common examples include transporting patients for dialysis treatments, and scheduled doctor appointments. These companies are required to obtain MC Plates, by filing proof of insurance confirming they are insured for a minimum of $1,500,000CSL. Medical transportation service companies (NEMT) (Medicars) operating in the state of Indiana are required to carry a minimum of $1,500,000. This is higher that the requirement in the State of Illinois.

Other businesses that fall under the umbrella of needing Public Transportation Insurance in Indiana include:
Ambulances, Buses (Over 16 Passengers), funeral homes, taxi and livery, these businesses can have different insurance requirements, and rates. Please call Urban at 800-680-0707 for more information.

Have Questions or Prefer to Talk to an Insurance Agent?

Just give us a call at 1-800-680-0707.

One of our auto insurance agents will be happy to answer your questions.
Monday – Friday from 8:00A – 6:00P Central Time.

Urban Insurance has been selling Commercial Insurance in Indiana for more than 60 years.


Urban Insurance understands the special needs of companies that are required to obtain Public Transportation Insurance in Indiana in order to get PT Plates.
We have the experience to help Public Transportation, Medicars or Van Service companies navigate the demands of the ICC (Illinois Commerce Commission.
We can also help file the needed ICC documents for the Indiana Commerce Commission, as well as the Federal Commerce Commission.

  • Indiana Department of Revenue
    Motor Carrier Services Division
    5252 Decatur Blvd., Suite R
    Indianapolis, IN 46241
    (317) 615-7200

Urban Insurance Agency, LLC
9465 Counselors Row
Indianapolis, IN 45240-6423

Skip to toolbar