Mexican Insurance FAQ

insurance-mexican-flagDo I need a Mexican car permit?

Only if you plan to drive in mainland Mexico beyond the border areas, or plan to transport a vehicle by ferry from Baja California to mainland Mexico. Permits are not required for travel on the Baja California peninsula. Car permits cost between $32.00 and $49.50 and you can obtain them at any Mexican Consulate.

What is a liability-only policy?

A liability-only policy will cover damages you cause to third parties. Unlike a full coverage policy, liability-only does not cover physical damage or total theft of your vehicle. Our liability-only policies also include medical payments for occupants of your vehicle, legal aid, bail bond, and roadside assistance (for most vehicles). Keep in mind the majority of drivers in Mexico do not have insurance. If you purchase a liability-only policy and are hit by an uninsured driver, the policy will not cover damages to your vehicle.

What is a full coverage policy?

A full coverage policy covers physical damage and total theft (deductibles apply) of your vehicle. A full coverage policy also includes a liability limit to cover damages you may cause to third parties, medical payments for occupants of your vehicle, legal aid and bail bond, and roadside assistance (for most vehicles).

What do I do in the event of an accident or theft?

Ana Seguros hasĀ a 24/7 toll-free number with highly trained bilingual staff that will be gladly to help you with the procedure of filing your claim.

YOU MUST REPORT YOUR CLAIM WHILE IN MEXICO, or your claim could be denied

What if my regular insurance says I have Mexican coverage?

Although some insurance companies state they have Mexican coverage this usually means within 25 miles of the border. If you stay within those 25 miles and something occurs either an accident or theft your company might cover the expenses however US insurance WILL NOTĀ provide any type of Mexican liability insurance, which is required by Mexican authorities. So if you cause any damages to third parties, your US insurance won’t provide any coverage.

Bottom line, you do not want to find yourself in a foreign country police station, debating the exact legal fine points of what is, or is not, covered under your American Insurance policy

If you have a question, please contact us at 1-800-680-0707.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Skip to toolbar